Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Little Sister Maxi Dress

After making so many things for myself the last couple of months,
I decided one day in May (yes, I rhymed that one purpose)
that I needed to branch out and make something for someone else in the family.

I had a maxi dress idea I wanted to try,
and my little sister was the benefactor of my test run.

These were my sources of inspiration from my Pinterest boards....
 


 
I *love* this maxi dress, you can find a great tutorial on making it over at Sew Much Ado.
I didn't actually follow her tutorial (but I plan to someday!).
 
This maxi dress also had a cute ruffle along the top that I liked.
You can read how to make this adorable dress over at the blog Dances With Fabric.
 
 
These images were inspiration,
but from there I pretty much just winged it.
I didn't use an actual pattern, instead I took measurements
and basically made the dress one long tube, with a ruffle and an elastic waist.

 

 
I would do some things differently next time I make one of these.
 
I will actually follow the tutorial from the blog Sew Much Ado which I mentioned above.
In it, she uses a tank top for her guideline for the top,
creating a fitted garment and not just a straight tube.

 


A second change I would make is omit the ruffle or change fabrics.
The stiff cotton fabric ruffle looks a little odd and 'in the way'.
 I wonder if that will change with lots of washings??
 
So...
it was a good project because I learned some things along the way
...mostly what not to do.
 




My sister likes the dress, but I think I will probably end up making some changes to it.
 
 

It did turn out cute, so I shouldn't be too hard on myself.
It was my third dress and fourth from scratch project.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Your comments make my day!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

I read every.single.comment. And reply to them as well, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box so you will receive my reply!

~Des~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...