Sunday, June 9, 2013

Strong Enough to 'Scratch' It: An Apron

Sewing from scratch.
That used to scare me.
I felt motivated and sufficiently prepared to tackle my first from scratch sewing project!
It was February, just days away from my Nana's birthday, and I decided to make her a new apron...
she had been wanting one for quite a while.

After looking through mom's small supply of sewing patterns, I was out of luck.
There wasn't any thing that would work.

We (mom was my go-to person, I couldn't have made it through without her!) decided
to just wing it using various aprons of our own as a guide.

I traced one of our basic tie back aprons for the main body.

The back was altered by adding a yoke strap instead of just a loop around the neck.
Does that make sense?
I'm really not familiar with sewing lingo and terms yet, forgive me.



Can you see what I am talking about?
It is really hard to tell in this photo, but that is the back of the apron.
If you look hard you can see a piece of fabric that attatches the should straps horizontally.


Nana's old and favorite apron had lots of ruffles,
so I added them to the shoulders of my version.
There is one row of ruffles made in the main fabric that runs the whole length of the shoulder strap.
I also added a second, wider ruffle in a secondary pattern, these only over the shoulders.



My favorite part of this apron was the adorable pocket!!




I used a pattern I found on Pinterest, it was one of 25 other free pocket patterns!!!
So many adorable pockets, I had a hard time choosing.
In the end I went with this one.




The colors were even pretty similar to what I really used!
You can find the directions here.
I was surprised how easy it was! It was, after all, my very first pocket!
I even did it without mom's help, I have to say I was pretty dern proud of myself!


It was one of those whirlwind projects,
 I was literally working on it just moments before it went into the gift bag!

Hmmm, maybe I should rename my blog 'Making It By the Seat of Her Pants'?!

Anywho...

I was so pleased with how it turned out, especially for my first *real* sewing project!







I think Nana liked it too. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Your comments make my day!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

I read every.single.comment. And reply to them as well, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box so you will receive my reply!

~Des~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...